Wednesday, February 17, 2010

grrrrrr...

so, our reunion dinner was a little bizarre. Mrs. Twit avoided me all night. no skin off my ass. except that she ignored my Father and Mother too, who is her Father&Mother-In-Law. so.. once again, it boils down to bad manners, low classedness, and plain ole assedness. (yeah, so i created the words in her honor!)

otherwise, i had a fabulous start to the Year of The Tiger. in fact, the Mrs. Twit incident was a little like the icing on the cake. cos it wasn't ME that finally let the side down. in addition, i visited 5 dear and long time members of my familial past, all in the 3 lightening swift days on the Island. our ex-gardener and my adopted grandfather, who turned 100 years old. my actual Grandmother who will be 96 this year (sadly however, she was the only "physical" visit we had as her mind is quite elsewhere). my Dad's ex-boss, who will be 91 in May. my 2 long standing "Aunt's" and soul-sisters to my Mom. 1 is active, alert, and still looks in her 50s, despite being in her late 70's and having lost her husband and daughter, and is still working as a counsellor. the other is also in her late 70's, has the most beautiful-happy smile despite her very bad knees, and failing short-term-recollection. she reminded me how special it is to be genuinely loved by a parent, as she spoke of her 3 kids (and 5 gran kiddies). my Mom and i swirled whiskies in our glasses as our eyes met repeatedly, every time Aunt forgot it was a question she has just asked. and we cheered often in silent awe for how fragile life is, and for how special we all are, individually and collectively.

i look to them each, for my deepest inspiration, and for the lessons i will need for my on-going future. i know that this will be a Year that will have its ups and downs. but i also know that i will focus on the ups this time around... as the Tiger roars into this Monkey's ear :)

No comments: