Friday, July 27, 2007

public transport...

Tengo que cambiar? = Do I have to change (trains)?

so, we all know how i feel about that :(

but, Jalan Sultan Ismail may have defeated this highly spirited driver. another 1 hour and 20 minutes in traffic tonight (although the skies were dry), to come home to one sleepy and mildly irritated IggySingh. i forced myself to be upbeat, and didn't say "sorry" too many times this time, and so she gave me some sleepy "where have you been" head-bobs, and then came to me to be cuddled briefly before she promptly fell asleep. almost broke my heart until i remembered that IggySingh is better off with late me than anywhere else :)

so all the way home i was contemplating everything from renting a small room in downtown KL to an apartment in Bangsar to getting a job in Menara TM and just working with a GLC, to have a shorter commute from home to work and vice versa. regardless to say, sensibility prevailed, and i realized of course, that i simply cannot uproot my green baby from her home, her babysitter, and all that she has grown familiar with these past 4 years.

and i can't uproot my parents from their routines and Jalan Cantek tosai and their morning walks and their car-pool lifts to Subang to golf. and i never want them to have to stay with anyone else (selfish me!) most critically though are IggySingh's needs when i travel on work should i move. i will no longer then have the luxury of her babysitter walking from Block B to Block A to watch over IggySingh. and she will be defenceless, unable to care for herself. and no MAMA, i don't love IggySingh more than YOU.
AND sigh... i love my job too. i really do. i love the work i win, the teams i work with, my bosses. arrrgh, hence...

PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

what is that in the Malaysian context? how will i work it? where do i drive to to catch it? where will i park? will my little yellow bullet be safe all day out in an open car park exposed to the raw elements? man, will i start smelling from all that sweaty walking around and being thrust up against fellow sweaty rakyat? how shallow are these questions? (i sound like that new extremely irritating DiGi advert...) okay. i think i will just have to embrace being one with the LRT masses. and i will have to start getting some un-sexy T-shirts and sensible shoes, so i can walk without killing my back and getting ogled for having a "Punjabi" bosom...

working class... that's me :)
i like that much better than "stupid idiot" that takes a job on the dreaded Sultan Ismail!!!

6 comments:

larawannabe said...

would it help to use another route? U-turns are atrocious especially during heavy traffic. i'd rather avoid it.

amreeth said...

yes. it would help. but with my sense of direction... i am kinda "doomed".
i am determined to learn though, and to try anything :)) it is blue skies again in PJ. with enormous white FLUFFY clouds.. eeee. so i am geared for this!
i need to talk with you about these little tricks wei. next BK date?

My So-Called Life said...

ya you just need to get over your cluelessness while on the road. There are a few alternatives for you actually...one by going straight and left to Tun Razak before getting into smart tunnel and to PJ via sg. besi.

but who knows you may have me down the road in menara dion :-p / unless I can negotiate to be in Kelana Jaya office (ISR) which is so much nearer to Bukit Jelutong :-)

amreeth said...

hehehehe :) i think week-ends will have to be spent driving around and "getting lost" so i can learn the roads.

i taxied today, which was a great call actually as it poured and poured and poured.

don't lah Kelana Jaya.. we will never have lunch wei! (but seriously, as a true friend, i say push for it, and save yourself the JAM JAM).

Rajes said...

Advice from a fellow LRT commuter: After 1 year of doing it with a laptop bag, shopping bags (can't resist the sales at KLCC!) and a bulging tummy,I must say I've fared well & have battled it all! But on the days that I am able to drive, I do truly enjoy the drive, the music and the coolness of the air-conditioning...but alas,not the traffic! So, like you SAK, I will force my way through the LRT than drive in this wretched traffic of the city centre that will take me hours to get home! So, try the LRT for a week,if it does turn out to be unbearable (I can Assure you that it will be on most days), then you'll have Nina and Lara to guide you through the different routes of KL...Nina, what's this about you going to KJ?

amreeth said...

wow! thanks Rajes :) that was a very good summary of what i can expect and we must have lunch again soon lah so i can "learn" more about the joys of LRT.. but i am so with you! all the reasons why i have been driving all this while too ;p

okay, i will hedge my bets and learn the roads from Nina too..